HTTP 401 Unauthorized
HTTP 401 Error Code: The 401 Unauthorized Error means that the request sent by the client needs more authorization even if the HTTP data stream sent by the client is valid. So if the authorization has not yet been provided or if the authorization tests being failed the server generates the HTTP 401 Unauthorized. Which is commonly called as “HTTP Basic Authentication”. The server generating the 401 Error must send a WWW-Authenticate header field having at least one challenge applicable to the target resource.
If the request asks for the authentication credentials, then the 401 response indicates that authorization has been refused for those credentials. Then the user may again request with a new or altered authorization header field. If the 401 response has the same challenge as the previous response and the user has already made an attempt for the authorization once, now the user agent must provide the enclosed representation to the user, as it contains relevant diagnostic information.
How the 401 Error Appears
The 401 Unauthorised Error messages are often personalised by the websites and are displayed in many ways.
- 401 Unauthorized
- Authorization Required
- HTTP Error 401 – Unauthorized
Causes of 401 Unauthorized Error
The general reasons due to which the 401 Unauthorized Errors occur due to,
- The application pool recycles after the first step of the Integrated authentication process.
- The application pool recycles before the second step of the Integrated authentication process.
Fix 401 Unauthorized Error
- Make sure that the URL you attempt to reach is valid or if it contains any errors. Check the URL is only for the authorized users only.
- Each website manages its users in a different way. Usually, the person i.e. the webmaster of the site decides who will have access to a particular URL. So try contacting the webmaster to get your access to the site or getting our credentials right if you have gone wrong.
- In case if you are a user that the web page is accessible to all in which you are experiencing an Error 401, then try reaching using a browser in a system in which you have not registered yourself in any way. All this must be done in an internet connection that you have not used before. The thing is to make your attempt seem like a stranger approaching the web page to access.
- If you have succeeded with the previous attempt, it means that the web server is prohibiting certain HTTP traffic from an unknown system which is very defensive security policy the web server has.
- You may also get HTTP 401 Error even after login which means that the server has found something fishy about your login. It may be your login credentials updated incorrectly. Thus follow the instructions provided by the website to get rid of the issue.
401 Code References
The code references for the HTTP 401 Error Code are
- Rails HTTP Status Symbol :unauthorised
- Go HTTP Status Constant http.StatusUnauthorized
- Symfony HTTP Status Constant Response::HTTP_UNAUTHORIZED
- Python2 HTTP Status Constant httplib.UNAUTHORIZED
- Python3+ HTTP Status Constant http.client.UNAUTHORIZED
- Python3.5+ HTTP Status Constant http.HTTPStatus.UNAUTHORIZED
Comment below your queries regarding the 401 Unauthorized Error and let us know your ways to fix the HTTP 401 Error.