HTTP 403 Forbidden
HTTP 403 Status Code: The HTTP 403 Forbidden means that the server understood the request but refuses to process or respond to it. Authorization is not a solution because the resource requested by the client is considered forbidden by the server as you don’t have permission to access it. A server that wishes to specify the reason for forbidding access will display in the response payload.
If the authentication credentials were provided in the request, the server considers them insufficient to permit access. The user should not repeat the request wit the same credentials instead try repeating with new or different credentials. However, the request will be rejected for unrelated credentials. An origin server that wishes to “hide” the current existence of a forbidden target resource can instead respond with a status code of HTTP 404 Not Found.
Reasons for 403 Forbidden Error
Forbidding the directory website for a website os the most common reason for this 403 Status code. Almost all the sites expect you to navigate the site with the URLs in the web pages. They forbid your access to browse the file directory of the site
Fix 403 Forbidden Error
The below steps will help you fix 403 Forbidden Error code.
- Firstly confirm if you have encountered a “No directory browsing” issue. Check for the URL if it ends with a slash ‘/’ instead of a web page with a .htm or .html. If this the issue then you have no other option but to access individual web pages of that website.
- Make sue that there should be some content in the directory. If not, until any content is added to the home page directory that is assigned by your ISP, a 403 Forbidden message will be thrown to the visitors.
- If you have secured your website strong enough, that is not open to the casual internet users, then there are chances of 401 Not Authorised message being displayed.
- The 403 Error may also arise if you have once hosted the site but now no longer do so. It will not have any redirection to the new URL. So if you have made any recent changes to your site 403 forbidden is a possibility.
- If you are sure that the website should be accessed to all as you have not made any recent changes to the site, then more likely the site could have some deeper problem.
- If you don’t have any of these issues but still continue to get a 403 Forbidden code, then it is the web server that disallows certain patterns of HTTP traffic. That is the server allows communications from a well-known browser but not from automated communications which are then rejected using the 403 Error Code.
HTTP 403 Code References
The HTTP 403 Status Code References are listed below.
- Rails HTTP Status Symbol :forbidden
- Go HTTP Status Constant http.StatusForbidden
- Symfony HTTP Status Constant Response::HTTP_FORBIDDEN
- Python2 HTTP Status Constant httplib.FORBIDDEN
- Python3+ HTTP Status Constant http.client.FORBIDDEN
- Python3.5+ HTTP Status Constant http.HTTPStatus.FORBIDDEN
Know more about HTTP 403 Forbidden from HTTP Status Codes.
Other HTTP Status Codes
207 Multi-Status (WebDAV; RFC 4918)
208 Already Reported (WebDAV; RFC 5842)
226 IM Used (RFC 3229)
300 Multiple Choice
304 Not Modified
305 Use Proxy
308 Temporary Redirect
4xx Client Error
402 Payment Required
405 Method Not Allowed
406 Not Acceptable
407 Proxy Authentication Required
408 Request Timeout
411 Length Required
412 Precondition Failed
413 Payload Too Large
414 URI Too Long
415 Unsupported Media Type
416 Requested Range Not Satisfiable
417 Expectation Failed
418 I’m a teapot (RFC 2324)
421 Misdirected Request
422 Unprocessable Entity (WebDAV; RFC 4918)
423 Locked (WebDAV; RFC 4918)
424 Failed Dependency (WebDAV; RFC 4918)
426 Upgrade Required
428 Precondition Required
429 Too Many Requests
431 Request Header Fields Too Large
451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons
5xx Server Error
505 HTTP Version Not Supported
506 Variant Also Negotiates
507 Variant Also Negotiates
508 Loop Detected (WebDAV; RFC 5842)
510 Not Extended (RFC 2774)
511 Network Authentication Required
Unofficial Error Code List
420 Method Failure (Spring Framework)
420 Enhance Your Calm (Twitter)
450 Blocked by Windows Parental Controls (Microsoft)
498 Invalid Token (Esri)
499 Token Required (Esri)
499 Request forbidden by antivirus
509 Bandwidth Limit Exceeded (Apache Web Server/cPanel)
530 Site is frozen
Internet Information Services Error Code List
449 Retry With
444 No Response
Nginx Error Code List
495 SSL Certificate Error
496 SSL Certificate Required
497 HTTP Request Sent to HTTPS Port
499 Client Closed Request
CloudFlare Error Code List
520 Unknown Error
521 Web Server Is Down
522 Connection Timed Out
523 Origin Is Unreachable
524 A Timeout Occurred
525 SSL Handshake Failed
526 Invalid SSL Certificate